The newest heir to the throne — a boy — came into the world today at at 4:24 p.m. weighing 8 pounds, 6 ounces. Although his parents have yet to announce his name, the son of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge was a trending topic on Twitter today and inspired a great deal of fan art on Tumblr and Pinterest as well. On Facebook, there were more than one million global mentions of the royal birth. Here are a few of our favorite memes.
1. The Today Show is reliving the big moment at Buckingham Palace with this GIF.
— TODAY (@todayshow) July 22, 2013
2. This Pinterest user has made an actual royal baby out of frosting and chocolate cake. A spectacular amount of effort went into this. 3. The (unofficial) Kensington Palace Tumblr blog has a small, but memorable collection of images and tweets about the royal birth.
4. CoxTV was ready with a Sponsored Tweet in honor of the baby boy.
5. Harry Potter character Professor Snape is wondering what all of this means for the magic community.
6. The Associated Press explains what it all means, period, with an interactive family tree.
7. BuzzFeed, as usual, is telling the story with animals.
The only royal baby GIF you need today http://t.co/d1iJNq5GiA
— BuzzFeed (@BuzzFeed) July 22, 2013
8. BuzzFeed also posted a screenshot of CNN’s coverage of the royal announcement that was posted on the gates of Buckingham Palace in London. The royal family chose to break the news in person, not online, but members of the media did get a press release in advance of the formal announcement.
Official royal baby birth announcement pic.twitter.com/iDk8DASxZv
— BuzzFeed News (@BuzzFeedNews) July 22, 2013