This may not look like the sleekest smartphone or even a dumb phone, but it’s a phone you can build yourself. Developed by David Hunt, it’s a PiPhone you can’t buy! That’s definitely a good thing, since you can make it yourself.
HE has full isntructions on his blog, but we thought you might want to know some specs before heading out to snag a Raspberry Pi to call somebody:
It makes use an Adafruit touchscreen interface and a Sim900 GSM/GPRS module to make phone calls. It’s more of a proof of concept to see what could be done with a relatively small form factor with off-the-shelf (cheap) components.
- Raspberry Pi Model B – $40
- PiTFT Touchscreen 320×240 – $35
- 2500mAh LiPo battery – $15
- SIM900 GSM/GPRS module – $48
- DC-DC boost converter 3.3V – 5V 1A – $10
- Cables, connectors, switch, etc. - $10