Fortune: Motorola Sticking With Breakup Plan

Motorola_KRZRs.jpgAs we reported late yesterday, Motorola has hired Sanjay Jha from Qualcomm in order to head up the company’s handset business and act as co-CEO. As Fortune writes, the move comes just months after Motorola said it would separate the handset business from the rest of the companies, in an olive branch to dissident shareholder Carl Icahn.

“Critics of the splitup plan say little will be accomplished by breaking Motorola’s money-losing handset business off from its profitable networking and enterprise mobility operations,” the report said. Fortune has previously claimed that the move will mean higher costs and less access to resources in the future.

With the new executive in place to run the division, Motorola has officially dug in its heels, even as they continue to lose market share at an alarming rate.

Related Stories
Mediabistro Course

Social Media Metrics

Social Media MetricsStarting September 4, work with a social media manager to monitor, measure and optimize your social media efforts! Danielle Brigida will teach your how to sift through web analytics, Facebook Insights, and Twitter mentions to develop a comprehensive reporting and tracking system for your brand. Register now!