How would you like the chance to give away books? The second annual World Book Night is coming up on April 23rd, and the organizers are looking for volunteers.
The goal of World Book Night (besides promoting literacy) is for 50 thousand readers to each give away 20 books to non-readers. The hope is that giving the unread masses books will inspire them to develop the habit of reading. Will it work? I don’t know, but I do think that it is a worthwhile project.
Sign up and you will be given 20 copies of number of popular books to randomly give away. You can give them to people in a Starbucks, party, or on the commuter bus home. There are 30 books to choose from, and there is something for all types of readers (except a couple titles have had so many requests that they re no longer available). . The list includes:
- The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
- Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card
- I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
- Kindred by Octavia Butler
- Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
- The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
- The Stand by Stephen King
You can find complete list of books being given away here.