Amazon offers plenty of newspaper subscriptions for the Kindle to fine publications such as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and The Los Angeles Times, but if you are looking for a way to turn your Kindle into a news reader for free, here’s how.
Using a free tool called Calibre, you can download news into the app and then convert it for reading on the Kindle. Then:
1. Open Calibre and at the top of the application, click on the “Fetch News” icon. This will produce a drop down menu with news in more than thirty different languages.
2. Click on English and there more than three hundred different news organizations offering free news through the feed. We chose the Associated Press. (Once the news is downloaded it will appear in your library.)
3. Making sure the content is highlighted in your library, click on the “Convert Books” tool at the top of the application.
4. A conversion window will open. On the upper right hand side is a drop down menu that says “Output Format.” Chose “.MOBI” and hit OK and select a location to save the file on your computer.
5. Add the file to your Kindle library.