Did you know that more Americans have Facebook accounts than have passports? A fun new infographic from social travel platform Tripl that illustrates the ways in which social media is impacting the travel industry reveals this and other interesting facts. The infographic, ‘The Social Travel Revolution’, is chock-full of statistics about travel and the social media arena.
According to ‘The Social Travel Revolution’ infographic, 50% of all Americans socialize with friends and family through Facebook. Only 37% of Americans own a passport. Other highlights from the Tripl infographic include the following:
- 72% of social network users access their social networking sites on a daily basis while traveling (though only 7% use mobile internet while traveling)
- 1 million passengers will board Gogo Wi-Fi flights this year
- 69% of travel companies have seen traffic growth from Facebook
- 46% of travel companies have seen traffic growth from Twitter
- The top 5 airlines have a total of over 2.5 million Facebook fans (Southwest, United Airlines, Lufthansa, American Airlines and Delta Airlines)
Learn more in the infographic below and let us know what you think in the comments. Are you surprised by any of these social media travel statistics? How do you use social media when you travel?
Megan O’Neill is the resident web video enthusiast here at Social Times. Megan covers everything from the latest viral videos to online video news and tips, and has a passion for bizarre, original and revolutionary content and ideas.